Things to know in Thailand
Language in Thailand;
The official language of Thailand is Thai. Nowadays in central Bangkok, in hotels, restaurants or shopping malls people can also speak English.
Money in Thailand;
If you're visiting Thailand, you'll need to become familiar with the currency the country uses. The currency of Thailand is called the Thai baht (pronounced: baht) and is usually represented by a capitalized B with a slash through it. When you are shopping in stores, you will see this on the price tags.
The official currency of Thailand is the Thai BAHT
- Coins come in denominations of: 1, 2, 5 and 10 baht, as well as 25 and 50 satang. (You may get some 25 or 50 satang coins as change at a supermarket.)
- Banknotes come in denominations of: 20, 50, 100, 500 and 1,000 baht.
More About Money in Thailand
- Travelers can be relieved to know that ATMs are not hard to find in Thailand, and most accept major credit cards. You can withdraw Thai baht from an ATM if you do not exchange before you travel. However, you will likely have to pay a fee if you are using a foreign bank card, and there may be additional fees from your bank at home. You don't need cash for every purchase in Thailand. Many hotels, restaurants, businesses and the airport accept major credit cards.
As with other Asian cultures, respect towards ancestors is an essential part of Thai spiritual practice. Thais have a strong sense of hospitality and generosity, but also a strong sense of social hierarchy. Seniority is paramount in Thai culture. Elders have by tradition ruled in family decisions or ceremonies. Older siblings have duties to younger ones.
Taboos in Thailand include touching someone's head or pointing with the feet, as the head is considered the most sacred and the foot the lowest part of the body.
Dress code at Temples in Thailand
- Tight fitting trousers such as leggings.
- Any clothing that has holes, such as ripped jeans.
- Vests or any top without sleeves and see-through.
- Short pants or mini skirt.
- Sportswear of any type.
- Long Jeans or trousers.
- Short or long sleeve T-shirt or Polo shirt.
- Sneaker or brogan.